Thursday 2 February 2012

Scuba Diving



 So Scuba Diving is one of those things that has always been on my list. You know "the list"? The vast page after page of mentally scripted things to do before you die? Its on there between "Fall in love in Paris", and "Cow Tipping" ... hey we all have different lists....

    We decided to go Scuba Diving with our friends Jeff and Jody while in Saint Lucia. Both of them have their certification because they love it so much. They insisted we HAD to go while they were staying with us :). Of course neither Adam or myself were hard to convince, having been fish in a previous life.
    Jody took on the task of finding a competent trust worthy company to take us out from Rodney Bay down to the Pitons. We had wanted to go with "Scuba Steve" who had very good ratings on Trip Advisor, but he was booked up, so then we booked with Scuba Fair St. Helen. The following day we went for pick-up and they no-showed on us. Being annoyed we ended up booking through the resort closest to our house rental the WindJammer. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to go out or learn in the Rodney Bay area.
    Although at the WindJammer we had to wait to the following day, it was well worth it. They decided to take us that afternoon to teach Adam and myself the basics... we were stoked.

   little miss confidense here strutted my down to the water shack that afternoon all prepared for my first day on the job. We suited up, jumped in the water (chest deep), and he gave us the basics and told us to start by going under water to breath.... Thats when I started to dislike it.
    I say this in here for anyone who is scared to try Scuba Diving. I was very excited, but then felt a little panic-y the second we went under the water. I thought "I don't I like this, I don't want to do this". I highly encourage everyone to get past those thoughts if you feel that way, because it only took me about 3 minutes of that then I started to love it!
     Nature didn't design people to breath under water, even though we all wish we had e been created with gills like Kevin Costner in Water World. But Scuba Diving defies such things by allowing us to explore the ocean up close and personal. Its truly like being on another planet. It is utterly amazing the stuff that lives just feet below the surface of the water. Its like putting on a space suit and stepping out in a place you cant fathom. The plant life, the fish, we even saw a sea turtle.
    Do do do go Scuba Diving on your next trip. If you get the chance to take experiences like that, take advantage! Humble yourself a little and go underwater. You will see how little we know, and understand about what we cannot see.
 Cheers
  Erica

1 comment:

  1. Well written. Did you ever cow tip? I wonder if it is a scam.

    ReplyDelete